201-217 North Main
- Date: 1884
- Architect: Richard A. Waite
- District: Downtown Historic Registry
The Oliver Row Houses were built on Main Street and Market Street in 1883. They consisted of nine residences covering 200 feet of Main Street. Each individual house was four stories, including basement and attic. At one point, the Row Houses were considered to be one of the most fashionable residences in the city. Each home had modern conveniences of gas and water. The homes had a gable front with double window in the parlor, facing Market Street (now Colfax Avenue). A long hall ran the whole length, with doors opening into each room, with double doors leading to the sitting room. The dining room was in the rear of the sitting room, and all three rooms were connected by double sliding doors. Each home had a fire place in the living room and some had fireplaces in the halls. The floor above the living rooms had three chambers, a bed room, bath room and closet. The attic had two bedrooms and closets with a large store room. The laundry, kitchen, pantry and cellar were located in the lower level. After returning from their honeymoon, J.D. Oliver and his wife, Anna Gertrude, became the first residents of Row House #1. In 1924, the front portions of the row houses were removed and the block was converted by H.G. Christman Construction Company. Since then, the building has been remodeled several times and is home to a variety of small retailers.