111 West Washington Street
- Date: 1924
- Style: Neoclassical
- Architect: Virthum and Burns
- District: Downtown Historic Registry
The American Trust Company building sits on one of downtown South Bend's most historic sites, going back as far as Lathrop M. Taylor's trading post in 1829 which was also the site of South Bend's first post office where the city was first platted on March 28, 1831. This location is at the intersection of three important historic byways the Lincoln Highway 1913 route, the Michigan Road and the Dixie Highway. A three-story brick building that was here in 1904 was the birthplace of the American Trust Company. In 1920, American Trust Company hired Virthum and Burns to design a larger new building which extended to two adjoining lots. The entire project, including demolition of the original brick building, was completed between July 1922 and May 1924. The new Classical Revival Style building made of Indiana limestone is what we see today. Another marker in South Bend History, the clock at the intersection Washington and Michigan, was installed by the bank in 1904. The clock that stands here now is a replica; the original clock is housed nearby in the 1st Source/Double Tree building.