The John Mohler Studebaker Building (J.M.S) is one of downtown’s finest early twentieth century structures. The J.M.S. building was designed in 1910 in the Classical Revival style influenced by the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. The architect, Solon S. Beman, also designed Pullman, Illinois. The design is notable for its three part division into base or first floor, shaft or second through sixth floors, and capital or top floor like a column of a Greek temple.
In 1902 the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company contributed $250,000 for the construction of South Bend's Young Men's Christian Association. The South Bend YMCA was organized on March 10, 1882, and Clement Studebaker served as the first president of the association until 1884. During his time as president he realized that their initial building would soon be outgrown and saw that the organization had the space they needed.
Danielson, Kay Marnon. Images of America Series: South Bend, Indiana. Chicago, IL: Arcadia Publishing, 2001.
Erskine, Albert Russel. History of the Studebaker Corporation. Chicago, IL: The Studebaker Corporation, 1924.
Palmer, John. The Making of America Series: South Bend, Crossroads of Commerce. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2003.
Romine, Joan. Tippecanoe Place. South Bend, IN: Southhold Restorations Inc., 1972.